Our HistoryOur church has a rich heritage under the leadership of just four senior pastors in the sixty-five years since its inception.
On June 7, 1942, Ernest Manley began a tent revival on Wayne Road in the City of Wayne. After spending several months meeting in the tent, the small group was forced by cold weather to move into the unfinished home of the Manleys. They had recently sold their mobile home and were in the process of building a house on Currier Street with the money they had received from the sale. Their baby's high chair served as the first pulpit.
They soon recognized the need for more room, so the little congregation moved into a store located on Newberry Street. By October of 1942, the church became self-supporting. The congregation began to look for property on which to build. A young, enthusiastic pastor with $10 in his pocket offered it as down payment on two lots located on the southeast corner of Wayne Road at Currier Street. Don Howell, the owner of the property, recalled that "Something about this young man impressed me ... so I made the deal." Before the papers were even signed, Ernest Manley was unloading blocks to start the new church which became known as Wayne Assembly of God.
The first service was held in the new church on New Year's Eve, 1943. The church enjoyed continued growth under the Manley's leadership until January of 1948, when he announced that he felt his work was finished and the time had come for him to resign. He accepted the pastorate of a church in Denison, Texas.
On April 1, 1948, Ed Raimer accepted the call to pastor the church. Ed and his wife, Nellie, devoted themselves to the work of the Lord. In October, 1951, the lot south of the building was purchased to provide for future growth. Two additions were then added to the existing building.
In 1957, five small lots north of the church were purchased to provide off street parking. Under the Raimer's ministry, the church continued to grow and prosper.
In 1973, seven acres were located on Hannan Road in Canton. This would be the site on which the new facilities would be located. Construction was begun and in November, 1975, the first service was held in what was renamed Tri-City Assembly of God.
Ed Raimer served faithfully for 33 years as senior pastor. His ministry can be summarized by the word sacrifice. There were many times that personal sacrifice allowed the work of the Lord to continue.
In October of 1981, Ed Raimer felt his work at the church was completed, and retired to Florida.
In November of 1981, Richard Linderman accepted the pastorate of the church. An excellent teacher of the Word, Rick Linderman brought a strong musical influence to the church which is so much a part of the atmosphere we enjoy today. Richard and Rosemary Linderman brought spiritual maturity and a wonderful balance of Spirit and Truth to the church.
In December of 1988, Rick Linderman felt the Lord was calling him to take the pastorate of a church in New Port Richey, Florida. Rocky
Barra, who had previously been on part-time staff, became the church's fourth pastor and began his ministry on March 19, 1989. His distinctive style of ministry, love for young people, along with his desire to reach outside the walls of the church have resulted in continual growth. The church was renamed Tri-City Christian Center.
Outgrowing the facilities, a move was made to a warehouse on Michigan Avenue and Hannan Road. The building was renovated and the church worshipped there until purchasing our current property and the move was made to our present building in August of 2002.
In October of 2007, the name of the church was changed to Connection Church. The casual atmosphere, practical Biblical teaching, commitment to outreach, and our outstanding ministries for children and young people have allowed Connection Church to spread the GOOD NEWS to the people of this community and around the world. The Lord is doing great things ---- and the best is yet to come!